Crime incidents in Metro Manila decline during Holy Week — NCRPO chief
MANILA, Philippines — Metro Manila saw a decline in crime incidents during this year’s Holy Week, National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) director Major General Guillermo Eleazar said Monday.
Eleazar said that the number of crime incidents during the Holy Week was lower than those recorded in the past week and even on the same period during the Lenten break last year.
“Itong buong linggo na ito, itong Semana Santa, ‘yung mga krimen na nangyari, kung ikukumpara natin doon sa ordinary days, chineck ko kasi itong weekly incident ng crime natin, ito’y mababa kaysa doon sa previous week, mas mababa pa siya kaysa doon sa Semana Santa last year,” Eleazar said in an interview over Radyo INQUIRER.
“Doon sa weekly average ng index crime natin since January, mababa rin ito,” he added.
The NCRPO crime statistics data disclosed that from April 15 to 21 this year, there had been 182 recorded crime incidents, while on the same Holy Week period of March 26 to April 1, 2018, there had been 266 recorded in Metro Manila.
The NCRPO said this is about 31.58% decline in crimes ranging from murder, homicide, physical injuries, rape, robbery, theft and others.
Eleazar attributed the drop of crime incidents to the heightened alert of the police and the continued vigilance of the public.
“Dahil ito sa mas alertong pagbabantay ng kapulisan, wala kaming bakasyon. At the same time, naging mapagmatyag ang ating mga kababayan, sinunod yung ating mga paalala sa kanila,” the NCRPO chief said.
He thanked police personnel and the public for the “generally peaceful” observance of Holy Week.
“Ako’y nagpapasalamat sa lahat, sa ating kapulisan, at sa ating mga mamamayan dahil nakaraos itong ating semana santa na generally peaceful. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.