Guiuan in Easterm Samar sizzles as heat index soars to 49.2°C
MANILA, Philippines – The heat index on Maundy Thursday skyrocketed to 49.2°C in Guiuan, Eastern Samar, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) said.
Pagasa said the heat index is the “apparent temperature or what humans perceive or feel as the temperature affecting the body.”
A heat index of 41°C or higher is considered dangerous and poses serious health risks.
Aside from Guiuan, 15 other areas were reported to have a temperature above 41°C on Thursday:
- Ambulong, Batangas: 45.8°C
- Daet, Camarines Norte: 44.6°C
- Dagupan City, Pangasinan: 44.5°C
- Sangley Point, Cavite: 44.4°C
- Pasay City, Metro Manila: 43.2°C
- Casiguran, Aurora: 42.4°C
- Masbate City, Masbate: 42. 2°C
- Clark Airport, Pampanga: 42.1°C
- Tayabas City, Quezon: 41.8°C
- Butuan City, Agusan del Norte: 41.6°C
- Port Area, Manila: 41.4°C
- Dipolog, Zamboanga del Norte: 41.4°C
- Calapan, Oriental Mindoro: 41.3°C
- Legazpi City, Albay: 41.2°C
- Roxas City, Cadiz: 41.1°C
Dangerous heat index levels in the Philippines on Maundy Thursday, April 18, 2019.
Pagasa said the temperature may ease in the following days as isolated thunderstorms and rain showers are expected over the weekend. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.