Close  

Robredo calls out DOE for Luzon power outages

/ 07:35 PM April 14, 2019

MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Leni Robredo on Sunday slammed the Department of Energy (DOE) for the recent power outages in parts of Luzon.

Last week, the National Grid Corporation of the Philippines (NGCP) placed Luzon under “red alert” and “yellow alert” for the insufficient power supply in the region.

ADVERTISEMENT

Robredo said, however, that the DOE should have been prepared especially during the summer season when the demand for power would typically be high.

“The DOE should have predicted that consumption will be high during the summer season. They should have prepared for it, ” Robredo said in Filipino during “BISErbisyong LENI,” her weekly program aired over AM station DZXL.

FEATURED STORIES

Due to the alerts raised over Luzon, parts of several cities and provinces — such as Metro Manila, Bulacan, and Cavite — experienced rotating brownouts.

Robredo compared the rotating brownouts experienced across Luzon to living at a time long before 2019.

“Why do we still experience rotating brownouts? It feels like we are not in 2019. And yet there have many improvements and programs put in place,” she said. “Both consumption and supply are predictable. Why do we still end up in situations like this?”

/atm

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Leni Robredo, Luzon power outages, power supply shortage
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.