Makati City to close some roads for Lenten events
MANILA, Philippines — Several streets in Makati City will be closed to motorists for a week to give way for the preparations of Lenten activities dubbed as “Kalbaryo.”
In an advisory on Saturday, the local government of Makati said that it would implement road closures and traffic rerouting plans starting April 14 at 10 p.m. until April 21 at 10 p.m.
The following streets will be closed to traffic to give way for the construction of Kubols or makeshift chapels that will be used for Kalbaryo or mini calvary:
1. Gen. Luna Street (From P. Burgos Street to Mercado Street)
2. Enriquez Street (From Don Pedro Street to Fermina Street)
3. San Marcos Street (From Pagulayan Street to P. Burgos Street)
4. San Juan Street (From Pagulayan Street to P. Burgos Street)
5. Don Pedro Street (From Gabaldon Street to Manalac Street)
6. Guanzon Street (From P. Burgos Street to Makati Avenue)
7. San Mateo Street (From D.M. Rivera Street to P. Gomez Street)
8. Agno Street (From D.M. Rivera Street to P. Gomez Street)
9. Dona Epifania Street (From A. Mabini Street to Agno Street)
10. Ilaya Street (From A. Mabini Street to J.P. Rizal Street)
11. Don Pedro Street (A. Mabini Street to Villena Street)
12. Albert Street (Villena Street to Palma Street)
13. P. Gomez Street (From J.P. Rizal Street to Zamora Street)
14. P. Gomez Street (Hagdang Bato Whole Block)
15. San Agustin Street (From P. Burgos Street to P. Gomez Street)
16. Quintos Street (From Santiago Street to Singian Street)
17. Molina Street (From Quintos Street to Singian Street)
18. Zenaida Street (From E. Zobel Street to F. Zobel Street)
19. Bagong Diwa Street (From M.L. Quezon Street to Pertierra Street)
20. Ma. Aurora Ext. Street (From Pertierra Street to Ma. Aurora Street)
21. Osmeña Street (From M.L. Quezon Street to Bridge Service Road/P. Burgos Street)
The city government of Makati then advised the motorists to use the following alternate routes during the processions set on April 17 until April 19, from 5 p.m. until 11 p.m.
Vehicles going to Westside Makati / The Circuit/ Manila: (From Westbound Makati or Guadalupe Area)
From J.P. Rizal Street, Light vehicles must turn left to Estrella Street, turn right to Rockwell Drive, turn right to Kalayaan Avenue (District 1), then, turn left to Makati Avenue. Afterwards, make a right turn to Jupiter Street or Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, turn right to N. Garcia Street (Reposo Street) and turn left to J.P. Rizal Avenue and follow the usual route to destination.
Meanwhile, from J.P. Rizal Street, Public Utility Vehicles, jeepneys, and small trucks must turn left to Estrella Street, turn right to EDSA, turn right to Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, cross Paseo Intersection and Makati Avenue Intersection. Afterwards, make a right turn to N. Garcia Street (Reposo Street) and turn left to J.P. Rizal Avenue and follow the usual route to destination.
Vehicles going to Guadalupe/ Pateros/ EDSA: (From Eastbound Makati or Delpan Area)
From J.P. Rizal Avenue, head straight to Kalayaan Avenue then turn right to N. Garcia Street. Make a left-turn to Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue, then, cross Makati Avenue Intersection and Paseo de Roxas Avenue intersection. Afterwards, turn right to EDSA if going to Mandaluyong and Quezon City area. If going to Pasay City, motorists must take the Buendia flyover from EDSA.
Vehicles going to Mandaluyong City via Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge: (From Northbound Makati or Makati Central Business District-Ayala)
Traverse Ayala Avenue to South Avenue then turn right to Kalayaan Avenue. Make a left turn to Pililia Street, then, turn right to J.P. Rizal Avenue, and make a left turn at Makati Avenue and J.P. Rizal Extension to Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge.
Motorists can also take the Ayala-EDSA flyover or Buendia-EDSA flyover in Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue to Mandaluyong City.
Vehicles going to Makati Central Business District – Ayala: (From Mandaluyong City via Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge)
From Makati-Mandaluyong Bridge, turn right to J.P. Rizal Avenue, then, turn left to Zapote Street and turn left to Kamagong Street. Afterwards, turn right to Ayala Avenue Extension and cross Ayala Avenue/Sen Gil J. Puyat Avenue intersection to destination.
A two-way traffic flow will be implemented at the stretch of J.P. Rizal Street (from Pasong Tirad to Makati Avenue) starting at 6 a.m. of Palm Sunday, April 14, to 10 p.m. of Easter Sunday, April 21.
Traffic enforcers will be deployed around the area. Normal traffic flow will resume at 6 a.m. of Monday, April 22. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.