Palace to pols questioning inclusion in ‘narcolist:’ Go to court
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Friday said the politicians included in the “narcolist” released by President Rodrigo Duterte could just go to court and question their inclusion in the list.
In a televised briefing on Thursday night in Davao City, Duterte bared the names of 46 politicians included in the government’s narcolist.
“As I have previously stated, there is always a remedy to judicial resort for those in the list who feel they have been injured by the announcement that their names are included in the list,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a text message.
Leyte 3rd District Rep. Vicente “Ching” Veloso, who was in the list, has denied his alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade.
Veloso said he plans to file suit for those involved in including his name in the list, as he challenged Philippine National Police (PNp) Chief Director General Oscar Albayalde and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Chief Director General Aaron Aquino to resign if they fail to prove his involvement.
The Department of Interior and Local Government has filed administrative charges before the Ombudsman against those in the narco list.
“Cong. Veloso said he welcomes the filing of the administrative charge against him so he can refute his inclusion in the list,” Panelo said.
“The individual right of an individual is subordinate to the right of the state to secure and protect itself from the wrongdoers of society when public safety is endangered apart from the people have the constitutional right to be informed on matters that concern their welfare and health,” he added.
The Palace official reiterated that “the drug menace is a national security problem as it destroys the basic unit of our society, the family.” /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.