Close  
  • share this

N. Korea to limit number of foreign visitors starting next week—report

/ 05:35 PM March 12, 2019

SEOUL — North Korea will begin restricting the inflow of foreign visitors starting next week as it is struggling to cope with a surge in the number of tourists following the first US-North Korea summit last year, Chinese media reported Tuesday.

North Korea plans to restrict the number of visitors to the country to 1,000 per day starting Monday, the state-run Global Times said, citing a source. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The number of foreign visitors to North Korea peaked around July and August last year, with about 1,800 daily visitors on average, it said.

The increase followed the first-ever summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump last June in Singapore, which observers said has brought attention to the reclusive state.

FEATURED STORIES

“In the face of the unexpected tourism boom, the alleged restriction was due to North Korea’s low visitor reception capability and should not be viewed as a sign that the country is closing its doors, given the open gesture it has shown since last year,” the report said.

About 80 percent of foreigners visiting North Korea are from China, according to the report. Yonhap

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Asia, North korea, Tourism
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.