Palace on CA ruling vs Rappler: Let the law takes its course
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang will let the courts do its duty after the Court of Appeals affirmed the decision of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) revoking Rappler’s license to operate.
“As we said, any case that has been filed before the courts we will not interfere. We will let the law takes its course,” Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
Panelo maintained that the case of Rappler was not a press freedom issue.
“Oh definitely [not].. It’s not related. Ever since, it’s never related [to press freedom],” he said.
In a 29-page decision dated January 11, 2018, SEC ruled that Rappler, Inc. and its controlling shareholder Rappler Holdings Corp. were “liable for violating the constitutional and statutory Foreign Equity Restrictions in Mass Media enforceable through rules and laws within the mandate of the Commission.”
Rappler had been accused that it was not 100 percent Filipino-owned, violating a provision in the Constitution. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.