Disease outbreak: Measles kills 17 in Pangasinan | Inquirer News
Close  

Disease outbreak: Measles kills 17 in Pangasinan

/ 05:15 AM March 07, 2019

LINGAYEN, Pangsinan — Measles has killed 17 people in Pangasinan province in the last two months, the Department of Health (DOH) said.

John Lee Gacusan, program manager of DOH Ilocos region’s national immunization program, also said 726 measles cases had been recorded since Jan. 1.

ADVERTISEMENT

The number represented an 881-percent rise from that recorded in the same period last year.

Pangasinan posted 589 cases, the region’s highest, while La Union province had 99; Ilocos Sur province, 25; and Ilocos Norte, 13.

FEATURED STORIES

Vaccination

Gacusan said the DOH had sent nurses and doctors to different provinces in the Ilocos to help local governments in their vaccination activities, especially in areas with high cases.

Records from the DOH national office showed that more than 16,000 measles cases were recorded as of March 2. It said 261 peopled had died from the disease.

The DOH earlier declared an outbreak of measles in parts of Metro Manila, Central Luzon, Calabarzon and Central Visayas due to the increasing number of cases, most of them involving infants and children up to 4 years old. —Gabriel Cardinoza

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Department of Health, DoH, measles deaths, Measles outbreak
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.