Bong Revilla favors death penalty for plunderers, false accusers
MANILA, Philippines – Former senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. on Monday said he is in favor of death penalty for individuals found guilty of plunder.
“Dapat lang. Para lang matigil yang ganyang plunder,” Revilla told reporters during the Filipinos for Peace, Justice and Progress Movement’s (FPJPM) proclamation of support on Monday.
Revilla was acquitted of plunder by the Sandiganbayan last December 2018 in connection with the so-called multi-billion peso pork barrel scam.
He was detained at the Custodial Center of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Camp Crame, Quezon City from 2014 until his release late last year.
Revilla added that those who falsely accuse others of plunder should also be meted the same penalty.
“At dapat hatulan din, kumbaga, kasuhan din ng kamatayan yung mga taong false accuser. Kasi masama din yung nagbibintang ka rin ng hindi totoo,” Revilla said.
(Those who accuse other falsely of plunder should likewise be penalized, accusing others of something they are not guilty of is not good.)
Revilla likewise lamented how he was falsely accused of plunder.
“Papano naman yung mga katulad ko? Nahatulan ako na not guilty so papano naman yung nangyari sa buhay ko? Gaano katagal ako kinulong? Winasak ang buhay ng pamilya ko.”
(How about my case? I was judged not guilty but what happened to my life? How long was I jailed? They ruined my family’s life.)
Revilla is running for senator under Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte – Carpio’s Hugpong ng Pagbabago party. /gsg
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.