Lorenzana: No stopping AFP ops vs NPA for release of captured troops
DATU ODIN SINSUAT — The military would not stop its operations against communist rebels in exchange for the release of captured security forces, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said Friday.
His statements came after the New People’s Army (NPA) in Northeastern Mindanao Region said they were just waiting for the suspension of military and police operations for the safe release of government troops abducted in two separate operations last year.
Twelve militiamen and two Special Forces soldiers were abducted by NPA after it attacked a military detachment in Agusan del Sur last December 19. Another militiaman was captured in Agusan del Norte last November 29.
“No, no. Alam naman ng mga CAFGU (Citizen Armed Force Geographical Unit) saka military na nahuli na kasama sa kanilang trabaho ‘yun na kung mahuli sila eh we will go through the process pero ;di titigil ang operations,” Lorenzana told reporters.
(No, no. The abducted CAFGU and military are aware that if they get captured while on duty, we will go through the process but we will not stop the operations.)
He said they would not stop government operations against the rebels especially now that the military are at an advantage.
“Ngayon pang lumalamang tayo, stop pa ba?” he said.
(Now that we are we gaining grounds, are we going to stop?) /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.