No confirmed death directly caused by Dengvaxia — DOH
No death has been confirmed to be directly attributable to the Dengvaxia dengue vaccine, officials of the Department of Health (DOH) told senators on Tuesday.
Upon questioning by Sen. Panfilo Lacson during Senate plenary debates on the DOH budget, Sen. JV Ejercito, who was sponsoring and defending the budget as chair of the Senate health panel, said there had been no confirmed cases of Dengvaxia-caused deaths despite outcry from the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO).
“According to the DOH, no deaths are directly attributable to Dengvaxia. The cause of death is for dengue or other diseases” in the reported cases, Ejercito said on the plenary floor after conferring with the DOH officials led by Health Secretary Francisco Duque III.
Pressed to elaborate, Ejercito added: “According to Secretary Duque, the PAO’s position is different from the DOH.”
“Isn’t the DOH more competent?” Lacson said, noting that the Dengvaxia vaccine had been approved in 20 other countries.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.