Passport data loss: Locsin sees smear drive against him, vows to ID culprits
MANILA, Philippines — Foreign Affairs Secretary Teddy Locsin Jr. vowed on Sunday to unmask the people who were responsible for the recent passport data breach.
“Those behind the passport mess will launch a social media campaign against me. I will identify them,” Locsin said in a Twitter post.
“Apparently the mess crosses partisan lines,” he said.
Those behind the passport mess will launch a social media campaign against me. I will identify them. Apparently the mess crosses partisan lines.FEATURED STORIES
— Teddy Locsin Jr. (@teddyboylocsin) January 13, 2019
In a reply to the foreign affair official’s tweet, a netizen suggested summoning “all DFA officials” who Locsin thinks are behind the mess.
Locsin, however, said that he does not want to summon previous and present Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) officials who may be involved in the controversy.
The official added that he would leave it up to the Senate and the Department of the Justice (DOJ) to investigate.
“No. I want the problem fixed. Let the Senate investigate and DOJ prosecute if ever,” he said in a separate Twitter post.
No. I want the problem fixed. Let the Senate investigate and DOJ prosecute if ever.ADVERTISEMENT
— Teddy Locsin Jr. (@teddyboylocsin) January 12, 2019
Locsin issued the statement after disclosing on Saturday that a previously outsourced passport maker took away all passport applicants’ data after its contract was terminated.
According to Locsin, the department is now requiring holders of “older” or non-electronic passports for renewal to submit their birth certificates after the data lost.
However, Foreign Assistant Secretary Elmer Cato immediately clarified that there is no need to submit a birth certificate in renewing electronic passports. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.