Palace: Duterte won’t apologize over maid molestation story
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte would not apologize over his “concoctive story” about molesting their maid, his spokesman said Thursday, as his narrative sparked outrage among women’s groups.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said Duterte’s tale was only meant to “dramatize” his message and make the crowd laugh.
In a speech in Kidapawan City last week, President Duterte said he once tried to insert his finger inside their maid’s panty.
“It was dramatized in such a way that audience will laugh. But, even that the message is not lost on the listeners – alam nila na merong mensahe si Presidente kahit na dinaan niya sa pagpapatawa sa kanila,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
“If you noticed the President has been doing that, even during the campaign. And that has been very effective on the listeners, his message has been clear. That’s why I think he will not stop doing this because he sees this as effective,” he added.
The Palace official said Duterte would not express regret over his story, which rights groups have described as sexist.
“Definitely, not. Precisely he intended that, that’s why he said, ‘that was intentionally made.’ It was concoctive story to dramatize the hypocrisy of a particular man in cloak,” Panelo said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.