Health secretary reiterates warning against firecrackers
MANILA, Philippines — Health Secretary Francisco Duque reiterated his warnings against the use of firecrackers as the New Year draws closer.
“Ako’y nakikiusap, tigilan po natin ang paggamit ng mga nakakadisgrasya, nakakapeligro na mga paputok, gumamit na lang tayo ng mga ibang pamamaraan ng ingay (I am making an appeal to the public to stop the use of dangerous, hazardous fireworks. Let’s explore other methods to make noise),” Duque told reporters during his visit at the Jose R. Reyes Memorial Medical Center in Manila on Monday.
“Huwag po nating ipagpalit ang hinaharap, ang kinabukasan ng atin pong mga mahal sa buhay sa pangmadalian na pagdiriwang at pagsasaya, dahil kawawa naman po ang inyong mga anak, kung sila ay nasabugan, nasunugan, naputulan ng kamay (Let’s not endanger the future of our loved ones. Our children would suffer if those firecrackers explode on their hands) ,” he added.
Duque also noted that the number of fireworks-related injuries dropped 50 percent this year compared to last year.
Duque said the decrease in fireworks-related injuries can be credited to the President’s Executive Order (EO) No. 28.
“Tingin ko pinakamalaking dahilan kung bakit ito ay bumaba, na EO 28 na ipinagbabawal ang (I think the primary reason for the decrease is EO 28, which prohibits) residential and personal use of fireworks and other pyrotechnic devices and instead encourage […] community fireworks display,” he said.
He also said that reminding the public of the dangers of firecrackers helped the Department of Health (DOH) in its campaign against the use of firecrackers.
“Nung ibinalik natin itong mga kagimbal-gimbal at nakakatakot talagang mga imahe, nitong mga litrato ng mga nadisgrasya talagang, iyan ay pumasok sa pagiisip ng nakararami kaya nakikita natin ngayon, bagsak ang bilang (When we revived those frightening images of firecracker victims, it made an impression on the people and the numbers really dropped),” he said.
“Pero meron pa rin, gusto natin talaga ideally, zero fireworks-related injuries, zero. Iyun ang ating pinupuntirya,” he added (There are still injuries but our target is zero fireworks-related injuries). /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.