Close  

‘I thought it was an earthquake’: Giant sinkhole opens on busy Indonesia road

/ 05:49 PM December 19, 2018

An aerial view of the sinkhole on Jl. Raya Gubeng in Surabaya, East Java, on Dec. 19. THE JAKARTA POST

SURABAYA — A giant sinkhole has appeared in the middle of a busy road in Surabaya, East Java, on Tuesday night, swallowing part of the four-lane Jl. Raya Gubeng and measuring roughly 30 meters wide and 15 meters deep.

The police have cordoned off the area and arranged a traffic detour.

ADVERTISEMENT

Thousands of vehicles pass the road every day. It usually takes five minutes to travel the entire length of Jl. Gubeng, but now takes roughly one hour.

Rudianto, 47, a resident of Kertajaya subdistrict who was about to drive through the location said he saw trees and lampposts rocking on the roadside just before the incident.

FEATURED STORIES

“I thought it was an earthquake. I backed the car and went against the flow. People ran around asking for help, went out of their cars leaving their vehicle,” Rudianto said.

National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said the sinkhole was caused by a construction error.

“The retaining wall was not able to withstand the load, especially during the rainy season,” he said in a statement, adding that there was no connection between this incident and two active earthquake faults in Surabaya and Waru.

Surabaya Deputy Mayor Wisnu Sakti Buana said the sinkhole was related to the construction of a parking basement at Siloam Hospital.

“This is related to the project on the side of the road. The Siloam Hospital project. They were supposed to build a foundation first, but they didn’t,” Buana said as quoted by tribunnews.com.

Surabaya Development Planning Agency head Eri Cahyadi concurred, saying the incident was purely caused by an error in the project.

The police have questioned seven people from the project’s contractor, PT Nusa Konstruksi Enjiniring.

ADVERTISEMENT

“We are still waiting for an expert [opinion] regarding the cause of this incident. We have asked people for information, they are all related to the project,” said East Java Police chief Insp. Gen. Lucky Hermawan.

Lucky said 29 people worked on the project every day. He said an expert team had reminded the contractor that water was flowing underground.

“We’re still looking into whether the contractor has followed up on the warning or not,” he said.

He said there had been no reports of any injuries in the incident. However, the search and rescue team and Surabaya Fire Service are still conducting an investigating and searching for possible victims.

Vice president commissioner Romeo Fernandez Lledo of PT Siloam International Hospitals said on Wednesday,  “Let me check who is in charge of the incident.”

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Asia, Indonesia, Sinkhole, Surabaya
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.