Cops tracking down truck driver in crash that killed 6, injured 14
MANILA, Philippines — Police are tracking down the driver of a delivery truck that rammed into 19 vehicles, a bakery, and a house in Santa Rosa City in Laguna on Saturday, killing six people and injuring 14 others.
A report issued by the Calabarzon Public Information Office on Sunday identified the suspect as Anthony Bernardo, a resident of Dasmariñas, Cavite.
A concerned citizen informed the Santa Rosa City Police Station of the vehicular accident at around 11:30 p.m. on Saturday.
The accident happened on the Santa Rosa-Tagaytay Road in Barangay Santo. Domingo in Santa Rosa.
Police officers, led by Supt. Eugene Orate, chief of the Santa Rosa City Police Station, responded, conducting an investigation and a rescue operation.
According to a report, 16 out of the 20 vehicles involved in the accident were going in the same direction, heading from Santa Rosa to Tagaytay City.
Meanwhile, a tricycle and two motorcycles were parked at the side of the highway when the delivery truck — which was carrying steel bars — suddenly crashed into a Ford Ranger.
The truck, still in high speed, slammed into the other vehicles and eventually rammed a bakery and a boarding house.
The crash caused a domino effect and some of the vehicles were hit by a falling electric post, which the truck also slammed into.
The truck driver escaped and the injured people were taken to the hospital.
Six were declared dead on arrival (while the rest are still undergoing treatment.
The fatalities were identified as:
- Quelah Ayesha Delizo Velasco, 1 1/2 months old
- Juvelyn Floresca Delizo, 21 years old, resident Barangay Santo Domingo, Santa Rosa
- Ariane Kaye Delizo Yllera, 2 years old, daughter of Juvelyn Floresca Delizo
- Lorelyn Rosel Sumadsad, 22 years old, resident of Barangay Hukay, Silang, Cavite
- Jerome Pagkaliwagan Baluya, 17 years old, resident of Barangay Santo Domingo, Santa Rosa
- Jayson Pagkaliwagan Baluya, 25 years old, Barangay Santo Domingo, Santa Rosa
As of this posting, nine of the injured were still at the Medical City Southern Luzon
- Magdaleno Sumadsad
- Laiza Castillo (pregnant)
- Reynalyn De Guzman.
- Ronaldo Serrano Sr.
- Ronalyn Serrano
- Mark Ariel Dignos
- Sarah May Dignos
- Jerwin Baluya
- Juanito Marquez
Five of the injured have already been discharged from the Santa Rosa Hospital and Medical Center:
- Ker Luis Garcia, 12 years old
- Fherlyn Jane Delizo, 22 years old
- Rodel Esquera 28 years old
- John Paul Bautista, 19 years old
- Aileen Vallestero 27 years old
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.