PNP, ABS-CBN reach deal on ‘Ang Probinsyano’
The Philippine National Police has finally come to terms with the unfavorable portrayal of policemen in the TV series “Ang Probinsyano.”
PNP Director General Oscar Albayalde is set to sign next week a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with TV network ABS-CBN and the producers of the show on the use of police uniforms and the portrayal of the police organization in the popular show.
An agreement between officials of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and ABS-CBN was reached on Wednesday in a closed-door meeting at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.
DILG spokesperson Jonathan Malaya told reporters after the meeting that the department and the PNP would continue to support the prime-time series.
MOU signed soon
“There will be [an MOU] between the two sides. From the very beginning, there was no MOU, so since both parties support each other’s role … the PNP chief will sign the MOU when he returns next week,” Malaya said.
While the DILG and PNP recognized the role of the TV show and the broadcast industry to inform viewers, ABS-CBN and the show’s producers also acknowledge the PNP’s duty to serve and protect, he said.
Malaya pointed out that the DILG did not compel ABS-CBN to make alterations in the TV show’s story line nor did the network offer to change the plot.
“ABS-CBN explained that [it has] been supportive of the PNP ever since. [It said] that ‘Cardo’ (the TV show’s lead character portrayed by Coco Martin) is a good and decent policeman and that he would never do anything that would tarnish the image of the police,” the DILG spokesperson said.
“We do not want the show canceled. We have no intention of dictating on ABS-CBN or ‘Ang Probinsyano’ about the plot. We respect freedom of expression and the creative license of ‘Ang Probinsyano,’” he added.
According to Malaya, the DILG and PNP were concerned about the difficulty in implementing the internal cleansing program with the depiction in the show of PNP personnel, particularly its chief and the institution as a whole, as antagonists.
In a joint statement issued on Thursday, the DILG and ABS-CBN assured the public that issues had been resolved in Wednesday’s meeting.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.