Imelda Marcos to appeal graft conviction
Former First Lady and now Ilocos Norte 2nd District Rep. Imelda Marcos on Friday said her camp “intends to file a motion for reconsideration” on the Sandiganbayan’s guilty verdict against her on seven counts of graft.
“We have just received a copy of the Decision of the Sandiganbayan’s 5th Division which was promulgated on November 9, 2018,” Marcos said in a statement.
She said her lawyer Robert Sison has been indisposed and is presently confined at the Asian Hospital so Atty. Lolong Lazaro would act as her counsel in the interim.
“He is presently studying the decision and has advised us that he intends to file a Motion for Reconsideration,” said the widow of late dictator Ferdinand E. Marcos.
Earlier in the day, the anti-graft court’s Fifth Division found the 89-year-old Marcos guilty of violating R.A. 3019 or the Anti-Graft and Corrupt Practices Act when she transferred around $200 million to seven Swiss foundations during her term as Metro Manila Governor, Batasang Pambansa Member, and Minister of Human Settlement from 1975 to 1986.
She is sentenced to imprisonment of six years and one month up to 11 years for each count of graft and ordered arrested, but she can still post bail as graft is a bailable charge. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.