Puerto Princesa vice mayor returns to office after P1.2M bail | Inquirer News

Puerto Princesa vice mayor returns to office after P1.2M bail

/ 09:06 AM October 09, 2018


PUERTO PRINCESA CITY – After 12 months in detention over drug charges, Puerto Princesa City Vice Mayor Luis Marcaida III reassumed his post on Monday after posting P1.2 million bail.

Marcaida’s legal counsel Zoile Cruzat said that Puerto Princesa City Regional Trial Court Judge Ramon Chito Mendoza allowed him to file bail last Oct. 4. The payment of the bond allowed Marcaida’s temporary release from detention for “illegal possession of firearms and ammunition, and illegal drugs.”


“I’m not bothered because I didn’t do anything wrong,” Marcaida said in an interview.

Following his release, Marcaida presided over Monday’s session of the City Council. He told reporters after the session that he would seek the dismissal of the charges against him.


Marcaida was held at the Puerto Princesa City Jail (PPCJ) starting September last year after authorities seized 30 sachets of suspected “shabu” wrapped in a plastic pack. They also seized a .22 caliber rifle, three rifle grenades, a fragmentation grenade, and four .45-caliber pistols.

The drug raid was based on a search warrant issued by Manila City Regional Trial Court Executive Judge Reynaldo Alhambra for the vice mayor’s alleged violation of Section 11 (Possession), Article 2 of Republic Act 9165 (Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002).

“What happened when I was raided are fabricated and we will prove that in court,” Marcaida also told reporters.

Meanwhile, Supt. Imelda Tolentino, regional police spokesperson said the official was a
“protector,” based on police intelligence reports.

According to Tolentino, Marcaida had been classified as a “high-value target level 3” since Oct. 10, 2017.

“Level 3” refers to government officials allegedly involved in the drug trade.

Planted evidence


In a press conference before he posted bail, Marcaida’s family accused the police raiding team of planting evidence.

The vice mayor’s wife Monette said the evidence might have been left by four armed men who barged into their house at about 3:30 a.m. or right before the raiding team arrived.

The team, headed by Supt. Enrico Rigor, denied they planted evidence to pin down Marcaida.

He added that the “team arrived at the house at about 4 a.m. to serve the warrant on Marcaida.

On January 6, reports said Marcaida was subjected to disciplinary action by jail management authorities after illegal contraband were allegedly found in his cell during an “Oplan Greyhound” operation. /cbb

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Drugs, Luis Marcaida III, News, Puerto Princesa
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.