Amid alleged ouster plot, Dutere says ‘they can’t bring us down’
CAPAS, Tarlac – A day before an alleged ouster plot against him would allegedly happen, President Rodrigo Duterte ensured that nobody could topple the government “as long as I have my Armed Forces” loyal to the flag and Constitution.
Speaking before soldiers during the 12th activation anniversary of the Mechanized Infantry Division at the Camp O’Donnell here, Mr. Duterte expressed confidence that political rivals, including communists and terrorists, could not bring his administration down with the military on his side.
“So I guarantee them that for as long as I have my Armed Forces [of the Philippines] na loyal to the Constitution and to the flag only, ako, isa lang akong beneficiaries diyan, you remain loyal to the flag, to the Constitution, hindi nila tayo matutumba. I guarantee you,” Duterte told the troops here.
The President had earlier claimed there were threats to “assassinate” him on September 21, as the country marks the 46th anniversary of the declaration of martial law by former President Ferdinand Marcos.
The firebrand leader, known to please the military, said he was ready to step down if the public feels he is “no longer relevant.”
“If the time comes I am no longer relevant, tomorrow will take care of itself. Kung ayaw na ng Pilipino o gusto ako ng Pilipinas, I said, let it be tomorrow and it will correct itself,” he said.
Massive protest actions are expected to take place on Friday, September 21, to mark the martial law declaration of the late dictator Marcos, and show the growing discontent of various groups on what they call were repressive policies of the Duterte administration. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.