NFA chief may be held liable for rice supply woes
National Food Authority (NFA) Administrator Jason Aquino is not yet off the hook even though he has offered his resignation to President Duterte.
Malacañang on Thursday said the Office of the Ombudsman was expected to act on any complaint that may be filed against Aquino in connection with the country’s rice supply problems.
“The resignation of anyone will not extinguish criminal or administrative liabilities if there are any. It doesn’t mean that if you resign, you are no longer liable,” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said.
Calls to fire Aquino
Roque made the remarks in a press briefing in reaction to calls for the President to fire Aquino, who has offered to resign.
But the NFA chief, Roque said, “can’t be fired when he has offered to resign.”
Aquino claimed he was already tired and could no longer cope with the pressures of government work.
The President said on Tuesday that he was looking for a suitable replacement for Aquino, who has been accused of mismanagement that has led to the rice shortage and price increases.
Last month, the Samahang Industriya ng Agrikultura filed a graft complaint against Aquino for allegedly diverting P5.1 billion intended for buying grain to pay off the NFA’s debts.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.