Close  

PH Navy probes grounding of flagship in West PH Sea

/ 05:10 PM September 07, 2018

PH Navy flagship BRP Gregorio del Pilar (FF-15) runs aground near Hasa Hasa Shoal (Half Moon Shoal) in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) on Wednesday, Aug. 29./ CONTRIBUTED PHOTO

A special investigation committee from the Philippine Navy will try to determine what caused its flagship BRP Gregorio del Pilar (FF-15) to run aground in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) last week. 

The warship was on routine patrol last August 29 when it ran aground in the vicinity of Hasa-Hasa Shoal (Half Moon Shoal), 60 nautical miles from Rizal, Palawan. No one was hurt from the incident but the ship’s propellers were damaged.

ADVERTISEMENT

BRP del Pilar was re-floated last Monday, six days after it ran aground, and was later towed by two commercial tugboats to Subic Bay. It arrived on Friday morning. 

The warship has not been dry docked since 2015 and it is scheduled to undergo repair and maintenance this year, said Navy spokesperson Cdr. Jonathan Zata.

FEATURED STORIES

“The incident has somewhat advanced its schedule of repair and maintenance,” he added.

Zata said the Philippine Navy will shoulder the repair costs for the warship, but he acknowledged that they have a logistics agreement with the US for the technical support for the former US vessel.

BRP del Pilar, one of the three ex-US Coast Guard cutters acquired by the Navy during the Aquino administration, is the lead ship of her class.

The commanding officer of the warship will also be relieved from his position as part of the standard operating procedure of the investigation. 

Commo. Toribio Adaci Jr., the concurrent commander of the Fleet Marine Ready Force, will lead the investigation of the grounding incident.


“It is composed of key officers of the PN and is backed by technical staff and experts to enable a more thorough and in-depth inquiry,” Zata said.

The expected length of the investigation is not determined but “it will be done expeditiously but with due regard to thoroughness and due diligence.“

ADVERTISEMENT

“The priority of the Navy is to determine the actual cause/s of the incident and ensure that appropriate actions are undertaken in order to avoid similar incidents to occur in the future,” Zata said.  /kga

RELATED STORY:

PH Navy flagship runs aground in West PH Sea


Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: BRP Gregorio del Pilar, Cdr. Jonathan Zata, FF-15, Half Moon Shoal, Hasa-Hasa Soal, investigation, Local news, Military, Nation, national news, Navy, news, Philippine Navy, Philippine news updates, South China sea, West Philippine Sea
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

Regencia finally gets his time on ice

December 07, 2019 12:29 AM

entertainment

Mark Bautista mum about Carlos Yulo controversy

December 07, 2019 12:10 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.