Recovery of stuck jet continues; Naia runway closed until 4 p.m.
The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) has extended the closure of a runway until 4:00 p.m. of Friday as the recovery of a Chinese airliner that veered off the runway on Thursday evening, continues.
Naia in a statement said runway 06/24 which is being used by most international flights, remains nonoperational as of posting. The runway was initially planned to be closed until 12:00 p.m. of Friday only.
Airport authorities said the tail end of the Boeing B737 Xiamen Air flight MF8667 was already lifted from the grass area where it got stuck, to offload passenger baggage from its compartment.
According to Naia, the aircraft landed at the airport’s runway 24 at 11:55 p.m. NAIA said the plane encountered a “runway excursion” after landing. A runway excursion happens when an aircraft makes an inappropriate exit from the runway due to pilot error, poor weather, or a fault with the aircraft.
Authorities explained that wet grass due to rainfall is hampering the recovery operation.
Naia said the following flights have been canceled as of 11:19 a.m.:
Naia Terminal 1:
- Etihad Airways flight EY 421 (MNL-ABU DHABI)
- Saudi Airlines flight SV 871 (MNL-JEDDAH)
- Hongkong Airlines flight HX 781 (HONG KONG-MNL)
- China Airlines flight CI 711 (KHH – MNL)
- China Airlines flight CI 712 (MNL – KHH)
Naia Terminal 2:
- PR 453 (MNL-GES)
- PR 454 (GES-MNL)
- PR 1845 (MNL-CEB)
- PR 1846 (CEB-MNL)
- PR 432 (MNL-TOKYO)
- PR 408 (MNL-OSAKA)
- PR 438 (MNL-NAGOYA)
- Express flight 2P 2959 (MNL-CDO)
Naia Terminal 3:
- CX 908 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- CX 912 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- CX 907 (HONGKONG-MNL)
- CX 906 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- CX 901 (HONGKONG-MNL)
- CX 900 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- 5J 272 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- 5J 273 (HONGKONG-MNL)
- 5J 5054 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- 5J 5055 (NARITA-MNL)
- 5J 929 (MNL-BANGKOK)
- 5J 930 (BANGKOK-MNL)
- 5J 110 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- 5J 111 (HONGKONG-MNL)
- 5J 805 (MNL-SIN)
- 5J 806 (SIN-MNL)
- 5J 112 (MNL-HONGKONG)
- 5J 113 (HONGKONG-MNL)
- 5J 014 (MNL-DUBAI)
- 5J 015 (DUBAI-MNL)
- 5J 188 (MNL-INCHEON)
- 5J 187 (INCHEON-MNL)
- 5J 487 (MNL-BACOLOD)
- 5J 488 (BACOLOD-MNL)
Meanwhile, the following flights have also been diverted according to NAIA:
- PR 105 (SAN FRANCISCO – MNL – DIVERTED TO CEBU)
- PR 103 (LOS ANGELES – MNL – DIVERTED TO CLARK)
- PR 117 (VANCOUVER – MNL – DIVERTED TO CEBU)
- PR 115 (SAN FRANCISCO – MNL – DIVERTED TO CLARK)
- PR 119 (TORONTO – MNL – DIVERTED TO CLARK)
- 5J 187 (INCHEON – MNL – DIVERTED TO CLARK)
- 5J 804 (SIN – MNL – DIVERTED TO CLARK) /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.