Motorist group hits MMDA’s planned ban on driver-only cars on Edsa
Automobile Association Philippines President Gus Lagman disagreed with the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority’s (MMDA) plan to ban private vehicles with only one person aboard during rush hours along Edsa.
“The problem of traffic is serious, we really have to think of drastic solutions to solve the problem. While I agree we clear some lanes, I don’t quite agree that those with only one person in the vehicle should be banned completely on EDSA,” Lagman told ANC in an interview on Wednesday.
“I heard earlier that 60-70 percent of the vehicles that pass along EDSA have only one person in the vehicle; it should at least clear one lane, and that should be good. The only problem is enforcement. The devil is in the details,” he added.
MMDA General Manager Jojo Garcia said the plan was to allot all lanes of Edsa to high occupancy vehicles (HOV) or vehicles with at least two individuals inside, during rush hours.
Garcia said the policy was approved by the Metro Manila Council, which is composed of the metropolis’ mayors, during a meeting on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Lagman also appealed to the MMDA to hear the public first before it implements the said policy.
“I think the public should also be heard before that is implemented because it will affect motorists,” he said.
“Aside from having a carpool lane, if I had a good solution in mind, I would let the gov’t know. Long-term solution is an efficient public transportation system. Immediate solution could be a bus rapid transit system,” he added. /vvp
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.