PNP relieves custodial officers following Cavite jailbreak
The police chief of Bacoor Custodial Center and four others were ordered relieved from their posts following the escape of 23 inmates from the jail facility, Cavite Provincial Police Director Senior Supt. William Segun said on Saturday.
Administrative sanctions are being readied against the five policemen following the jailbreak incident that transpired on Friday afternoon.
“Actually lahat ng duty that time, yung limang duty po pati po yung chief ng custodial center ay atin na pong pinarelieve at inassign sa provincial office at pinapaimestigahan na para sa karampatang liabilities nila,” Segun said in an interview with dzbb.
(Actually, all the duty officers at the time, the five of them, including the chief of the custodial center had already been relieved of their posts and reassigned in the provincial office while they are being investigated for their appropriate liabilities.)
Segun added that as of 6 a.m. of Saturday, eight inmates have been recaptured following manhunt operations.
The police also formed a special task group to conduct the manhunt against the other 15 inmates who remain at large.
Segun also said that the inmates who bolted jail have drug-related cases but noted that they were not high profile personalities.
“Mga drug-related cases yung mga kinakaharap na kaso nung mga nakatakas na inmates,” Segun said.
“Hindi po (high profile inmates), mga street-level pusher ang mga ito,” he added.
(They are not high-profile inmates, they are street-level pushers.)
The 23 detainees reportedly managed to flee after overpowering the officers while the gate was being opened to take in another inmate.
The escapees pushed the cell’s gate and immediately fled the jail at around 4:30 p.m. of Friday. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.