Bulacan workers resume picket
CITY OF MALOLOS — Workers of condiments producer NutriAsia Inc. resumed their picket line about 300 meters from the factory in Marilao town, hoping it would not violate a court-imposed 20-day temporary restraining order (TRO) stopping the protest action.
The picket, staged by contractual workers and activists, was dispersed on June 14 by the police when the court sheriff stopped the protesters from blocking the NutriAsia factory gates.
Factory operations had been paralyzed since June 2 when the workers launched protest actions against the termination of 50 workers after they formed a union.
Alvin Lascano, leader of the protesters, said they wanted to be reinstated as employees of NutriAsia.
NutriAsia said the picketing workers were employees of its contractor, B-Mark Company.
Godofredo Villarete, sheriff of Bulacan Regional Trial Court Branch 7, said Judge Isidra Arganosa Maniego would need to determine if the new picket violated her TRO.
He said NutriAsia may raise this matter before the court on June 21 when it hears the petition to make the TRO permanent. —Carmela Reyes-Estrope
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.