By Cynthia D. Balana
A number of civil society groups in Mindanao have expressed support for Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman and the Department of Social Welfare and Development following last week’s raid on the DSWD regional office in Davao City by typhoon victims demanding relief goods.
By Jerry E. Esplanada
Evangelist Brother Eddie Villanueva assailed the Department of Social Welfare and Development on Wednesday for its “failure to quickly and efficiently distribute relief goods” in areas of Mindanao that were ravaged by Typhoon “Pablo”.
By Philip C. Tubeza
Noting that the situation was “truly desperate,” the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) on Saturday launched an “emergency appeal” for P726 million to help more than 330,000 homeless Filipinos affected by Typhoon “Pablo.”
The death toll from the strongest typhoon to hit the Philippines this year has climbed more than 700 with hundreds more missing, many of them tuna fishermen feared lost at sea, the government said Tuesday.
Desperate families begged for food on Sunday—nearly a week after Typhoon “Pablo” struck and despite earlier assurances by Aquino administration officials in press releases that they had prepositioned emergency supplies in the potential disaster zone.
By DJ Yap
Filipinos are a tough breed. Nowhere was this more evident than in heartwarming scenes that unfolded in New Bataan town in the province of Compostela Valley in the aftermath of Typhoon “Pablo.”
By Kristine Felisse Mangunay
Almost three months after Typhoon “Pedring” hit the country, 1,027 families in Navotas City who lost their houses have yet to be relocated. The affected families who used to live on houses built on stilts beside waterways until these were washed out by floodwaters have been seeking shelter at eight evacuation centers since September, Jayne [...]
RESPONDING to the widespread devastation caused by Tropical Storm Sendong, a telecommunications company has set up free call (libreng tawag) stations in disaster-hit areas for typhoon victims to call their relatives.
By Ramon Tulfo
President Noy visited places hard-hit by Typhoons “Pedring” and “Quiel” on Wednesday—but only after the floods had subsided and the rains had stopped. One of the reporters who covered his tour of the devastated areas said P-Noy didn’t even get his shoes wet. * * * Deedee Siytangco, staff writer of the Manila Bulletin, defended [...]
By Frances Mangosing
At least 2 million people have been affected by Typhoons Pedring (international name: Nesat) and Quiel (international name: Nalgae), with over 500,000 served inside and outside evacuation centers, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Tuesday.
THE Cebu Provincial government will extend assistance to the victims of typhoon “Pedring” in Bulacan and Pampanga.
By Jocelyn R. Uy
MANILA, Philippines—Manila Archbishop Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales on Monday announced that all offertory collections from last Sunday’s Masses will go straight to the typhoon victims, particularly those whose homes have been submerged in floods in Central Luzon. Rosales aired his reminder to all the parish priests in the Manila archdiocese over the Church-run Radio Veritas on [...]