The Corporate Network for Disaster Response (CNDR), together with Smart Communications Inc., organized a training program on community disaster preparedness in barangay Candau-ay, Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental. Candau-ay, one of the barangays that was hit hard by typhoon Sendong in 2011, is the latest host community for the Noah’s Ark Project of CNDR. A total [...]
Sen. Loren Legarda has scheduled disaster risk reduction (DRR) workshops in eight regions this year while Sen. Aquilino Pimentel III has proposed to give salaries for permanent DRR officers in cities, towns and provinces.
By Nico Alconaba
That Davao Oriental is still groping in the dark a week after Typhoon “Pablo” struck leaves serious doubts about the four awards it has won so far for disaster preparedness. Pablo killed 337 people in the province.
By Nikko Dizon
Typhoon Pablo did not veer away from its path, on Tuesday, as earlier reported. The eye of the storm was spotted at 70 kilometers south of Tagbilaran City, Bohol.
By Alex V. Pal
A passenger craft was reported missing while power black out hit Dumaguete City as typhoon “Pablo” unleashed its wrath in Siquijor and parts of Negros Oriental late Tuesday afternoon.
By Germelina Lacorte
For the first time in their lives, people in the coastal towns of Davao Oriental heard the sound of a typhoon, leaving some of them to compare it with the groan from an angry man.
By Mar S. Arguelles
A storm surge as high as six meters hit the shorelines of Catanduanes on Tuesday, preventing passenger vessels from docking in the Virac port, the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) in Bicol said.
By Danilo V. Adorador III
Power and water services were down in Surigao del Norte as of Tuesday afternoon, where a total of 4,580 families or 21,100 individuals have been evacuated in different designated evacuation centers all over the province.
By TJ Burgonio
The government has set aside some P42 million in standby fund and relief goods for provinces in the path of typhoon “Pablo’’ in Visayas and Mindanao, Malacañang officials said on Monday.
Education Secretary Armin Luistro has ordered all public and private schools to participate in a nationwide simultaneous earthquake drill at 9 a.m. Monday to “intensify and level up” earthquake preparedness.
By Marlon Ramos
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) advised local disaster response offices in the Visayas and Mindanao regions to implement preemptive evacuation as typhoon “Pablo” entered the Philippine area of responsibility Sunday night.
By Bobby Lagsa
Roberto Labitad and his neighbors on Acacia Street in Barangay (village) Carmen here finalized on Saturday night their evacuation before the arrival of typhoon Pablo on Tuesday (Dec. 4).
By Maila Ager
The government should draw lessons from the effective disaster preparedness measures undertaken by the New York City government and emulate its mayor’s “sense of urgency and swiftness of action” when hurricane “Sandy” devastated the city, Senator Loren Legarda said on Wednesday.