By Norman Bordadora
Two of the senators implicated in the P10-billion pork barrel scam have gleefully pounced on the discrepancy in the testimonies of two provisional state witnesses, perhaps in hopes that this would prove to be the undoing of the government’s case against them—and their deliverance from guilt.
By Maila Ager
Dennis Cunanan, who is scheduled to appear before the Senate blue ribbon committee on Thursday, insisted in his affidavit that two of the three senators involved in the P10 billion “pork-barrel” scam “hand-picked” the non-government organizations linked to detained businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles as recipients of their “pork barrel” funds.
By Kristine Angeli Sabillo
Irrelevant and useless, that was how Malacañang on Wednesday described Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr.’s challenge for President Benigno Aquino III and his Cabinet members to undergo a lifestyle check.
“For the sake of transparency and accountability,” President Benigno Aquino III and all Cabinet members and senators should undergo a lifestyle check, Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. said on Tuesday.
By Nancy Carvajal
, Norman Bordadora
Spare my children. Dennis Cunanan, the latest whistle-blower to come forward in the P10-billion pork barrel scam, made this appeal on Saturday, claiming that his children had been receiving calls from unidentified callers asking about their father and his whereabouts.
By Jerome Aning
, Norman Bordadora
Justice Secretary Leila de Lima has dismissed reports that a prospective state witness, former Technology Resource Center (TRC) head Dennis Cunanan, owns mansions and luxury cars as nothing more than a demolition job.
By Maila Ager
Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. repeatedly called his accuser, former Technology Resource Center (TRC) chief Dennis Cunanan, a liar.
By TJ Burgonio
Senators Ramon Revilla Jr., Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada and Gregorio Honasan have been sent notices by the Commission on Audit (COA) that they have to return the millions of pesos from their pork barrel allotments that were illegally diverted to bogus nongovernment organizations (NGOs).
MANILA, Philippines – Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales denied the bid of Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. to suspend the investigation on the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam.
In a 13-page Joint Order dated Jan. 28, which was released Thursday, Morales said there is “no prejudicial question exists to warrant the suspension of the preliminary investigation.”
There is a prejudicial question when a civil action and a criminal action are both pending, and there exists in the civil action an issue, which must be preemptively resolved before the criminal action may proceed because howsoever the issue raised in the civil action is resolved would determine the guilt or innocence of the accused.
In this case, however, the Ombudsman said the civil case for declaration of nullity of documents of sum of money and damages, which Revilla filed against whistle-blower Benhur Luy before the Cavite Regional Trial Court “has no bearing in the outcome of the criminal cases filed with the Ombudsman.”
Revilla, together with Senators Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile, has been slapped with a case for plunder in connection with the questionable use of PDAF.
The Joint Order explained that the issues in the criminal and civil cases are neither similar nor intimately related to one another, considering that “forgery or falsification, which is the gist of [the civil case], is not a necessary element of the [mentioned crimes].”
It added that the PDAF documents are not the sole or exclusive determinant of the existence of probable cause for plunder, malversation, or violation of the anti-graft law, as there appear to be other pieces of evidence (e.g., sworn statements of other witnesses, business records of companies controlled by Janet Lim Napoles, and reports from the on-site verification conducted by investigators in various provinces where the PDAF-funded projects were implemented).
The Joint Order considered the civil suit as an afterthought and ploy to delay the criminal proceedings, since Revilla already knew about the PDAF documents and the issue of authenticity or genuineness of his signature on the documents as early as 2011 when upon the Commission on Audit’s request for confirmation, he confirmed that the signatures appearing in the PDAF documents belonged to him and Cambe, instead of questioning the same.
Senate to resume probe of pork barrel scandal
Aquino allies want Napoles transferred to regular jail
Aquino pokes fun at Napoles
Napoles daughter files counter-affidavit on tax case from London
Janet Napoles and the pork barrel scam
By Maila Ager
Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II said he has no animosity towards Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., who had labeled him as “Boy Pickup.”
That was the answer Thursday of Speaker Feliciano Belmonte when asked if an impeachment case against President Benigno Aquino III would have a chance at the House of Representatives packed with administration allies.
By Nestor Corrales
Contrary to the claims of Senator Ramon Revilla Jr., Budget Secretary Florencio “Butch” Abad on Wednesday said he could not recall saying “Let’s help each other” to the senator during a meeting with President Benigno Aquino III regarding the impeachment trial of then Chief Justice Renato Corona.
By Tetch Torres-Tupas
Petitioners questioning the legality of the Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP) accused the government of not only buying time but also groping for reason to justify its use during the impeachment of Chief Justice Renato Cor