Quantcast
Latest Stories
Home » Al-Barka You are browsing entries tagged with “Al-Barka”

Gutsy officer in bungled raid found guilty, demoted

By

“I fell here, I’ll rise here.” A bemedaled Army officer kept up a brave front on Tuesday as he was found guilty by a general court-martial of bungling an operation against renegade guerrillas in Al-Barka town, Basilan province, two years ago, causing a clash that left 19 Special Forces soldiers dead.

Posted: July 10th, 2013 in Editors' Picks,Headlines,Nation | Read More »

Military court finds remaining officer in bungled Basilan operations guilty

By
A soldier carries a wounded comrade airlifted by helicopter from Al-Barka, Basilan, for treatment in Zamboanga City last month. At least 19 soldiers of the Special Action Forces were killed in a clash with Moro rebels. AP FILE PHOTO

The remaining officer facing charges in the bungled operations in Al Barka, Basilan in 2011 which claimed lives of 19 of the Army’s Special Forces and injured 14 others was found guilty by military court on Tuesday.

Posted: July 9th, 2013 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

An encounter for peace in Al-Barka

By
MEMBERS of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF)  and the Philippine Army’s 103rd Brigade test their strengths in a game of tug-of-war in October last year to celebrate the formal signing of the framework peace agreement between the government and MILF negotiators in Malacañang. RICHEL V. UMEL

The last time they met, heads rolled as blood flowed in what was seen as one of the most grossly lopsided encounters between soldiers and Moro rebels in Basilan.

Posted: January 19th, 2013 in Featured Columns,Featured Gallery,Headlines,Photos & Videos,Regions | Read More »

AFP to review guilty verdict vs soldier in al-Barka debacle

By
afp-logo

The Armed Forces of the Philippines will review the general court martial’s guilty verdict against Colonel Almikandra Undog, one of the soldiers involved in the Al-Barka debacle in 2011, which killed 19 members of the Philippine Army’s Special Forces.

Posted: January 11th, 2013 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

AFP speeds up court martial of 4 military officers over Basilan massacre

By
afp-logo

The General Court Martial (GCM) of four senior military officers over the Al Barka, Basilan massacre a year ago is being fast-tracked, an Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesman said Wednesday.

Posted: October 17th, 2012 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

Members of court martial for Al Barka bloodbath named

By

Armed Forces chief General Jessie Dellosa has named the members of the general court martial that will try the four accused Army officers involved in the Al Barka incident, which left 19 of Army’s Special Forces slaughtered by Abu Sayyaf and Moro Islamic Liberation Front forces in October last year, a military spokesman said Monday.

Posted: April 30th, 2012 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

Still no court-martial for 4 Army officers

By
AFP Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Jessie Dellosa INQUIRER PHOTO

Despite the recommendations of an Army panel, the Armed Forces of the Philippines has yet to begin court-martial proceedings against four Army commanders in connection with the Oct. 18, 2011 deaths of 19 soldiers in an encounter with Muslim secessionist rebels in Al Barka, Basilan.

Posted: March 29th, 2012 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

AFP panel to probe Al-Barka operation

oban

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) will decide early next month whether or not to court martial the officers involved in the October 18 military operation in Al-Barka, Basilan, that resulted in the death of 19 Army Special Forces troops and the wounding of 15
others.

Posted: November 14th, 2011 in Editors' Picks,Headlines,Nation | Read More »

13 MILF commanders charged for soldiers’ deaths

By

Moro Islamic Liberation Front, MILF commanders, Al Barka, Basilan, multiple murder, multiple frustrated murder, Dan Laksaw Asnawi

Posted: November 9th, 2011 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

Military no longer honors ‘ATS’ anywhere

By

The so-called “area of temporary stay” for Muslim rebels in Al-Barka, Basilan, where 19 soldiers were killed in an ambush last month no longer exists, according to Army chief Lt. Gen. Arturo Ortiz. This temporary arrangement that was set up with the secessionist Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) during a military operation years ago will [...]

Posted: November 5th, 2011 in Headlines,Nation | Read More »

Cooperate or stand aside, AFP tells MILF in Basilan

By ,
A soldier carries a wounded comrade airlifted by helicopter from Al-Barka, Basilan, for treatment in Zamboanga City last month. At least 19 soldiers of the Special Action Forces were killed in a clash with Moro rebels. AP FILE PHOTO

The Philippine Army deployed special forces troops to track down the killers of 19 soldiers in Basilan province as the government called on the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) to “cooperate or stand aside.”

Posted: November 2nd, 2011 in Headlines,Nation | Read More »

‘All-out war, all-out justice’–what’s that?

By

In the wake of the killing of 19 Special Forces soldiers in Al-Barka, Basilan, the Aquino administration has gone out of its way to explain its process in formulating policy on the Mindanao war. Forced by the Basilan clash to clarify his administration’s vague policy of neither war nor peace, President Aquino on Oct. 24 [...]

Posted: October 31st, 2011 in Headlines,Nation | Read More »

Gov’t to take up Al-Barka incident with MILF in Nov. talks, says Deles

By
Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process Secretary Teresita “Ging” Deles. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – The government will take up the Al-Barka incident with leaders of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front if informal talks with the rebel group push through in early November in Kuala Lumpur, said Secretary Teresita Deles, presidential adviser on the peace process. Deles said issues of accountability over the incident that killed 19 [...]

Posted: October 29th, 2011 in Latest News Stories,Nation | Read More »

Advertisement
  1. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  2. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  3. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  4. Sandigan junks Marcos family claim to Paoay property
  5. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  6. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  7. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  8. Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  9. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  10. Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima

News

  • Camilla’s brother dies in US after head injury
  • Luisita farmers storm DAR compound
  • Trillanes, Ejercito confident they are not in Napoles’ list
  • Easterlies to prevail in Luzon, Visayas
  • Lacson eyes P106-B ‘Yolanda’ rehab masterplan
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • No tourist draw, Malang the croc will remain wild
  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Entertainment

  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • Business

  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Cost-recovery provisions for affected gencos urged
  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Technology

  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged to get clearance before returning
  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement