FOUR days after he purchased a gun, a call center agent shot and killed himself using the weapon Thursday night inside a hotel room in Manila. Manila Police District homicide investigators said the suicide had apparently been meticulously planned although the victim did not leave any note to explain his decision to end his life. Eric Custodio, 43, of Multinational Village in Parañaque City, shot himself in the left side of the chest with his caliber .357 Magnum revolver after checking in at the Sohotel along M.H. del Pilar Street in Malate. Police Officer 3 Alonzo Layugan, case investigator, said Custodio?s body was found by hotel employees at around 9:30 p.m., three hours after he checked in. Before the body was discovered, Sohotel staff noticed the call center agent disembark from a cab carrying a white plastic bag at around 6 p.m. He then checked in alone at the hotel for a three-hour stay. After three hours, a cashier at the hotel rang up Custodio in his room to tell him that his stay had expired but there was no answer. When the room boy checked the room, Custodio was found lying half-naked on the bed, his hands raised over his head, with a bullet wound in the chest. Near his body was a gun case containing application forms for a firearms license and a permit to carry firearm and ammunition outside residence, a firearm bond, as well as a receipt for the handgun?s purchase. ?Custodio apparently bought the revolver on March 6 for a discounted price of P61,000. He paid in cash because the original price was P69,000,? Layugan said. The case investigator ruled out foul play because ?there was no forced entry into the room nor was the crime scene in disarray.? Custodio?s sister told police her brother appeared to have a problem, but did not go into details. Jeannette I. Andrade
Housewife found buried near Marikina River
MARIKINA police are investigating the death of a woman who had been stabbed to death and then buried near the Marikina River in Barangay Tumana. Senior Supt. Gabriel Lopez, Marikina police chief, said the woman, whose decomposing body was exhumed on Thursday from a grassy lot at the west side of the banks of the Marikina River, was identified as Mia Lauresca, a housewife and a resident of Singkamas Street, Barangay Tumana. On Thursday, the Marikina police received information from an unknown female caller that a woman was ?killed and buried? in Barangay Tumana. The police immediately surveyed the entire barangay and found the woman?s body buried three feet underground. Lopez said Lauresca had a head injury and several stab wounds in her body which probably led to her death. The victim was wearing a green blouse and green shorts with a nylon belt. Lopez said Lauresca may have been killed and buried last week. The police are looking into the possibility that the woman was a victim of a summary execution and her death could be related to illegal drugs. ?A week before her death, she allegedly went to the barangay hall to report some illegal activities related to drugs in her area,? Lopez said. The police have identified a suspect, but Lopez declined to provide details. Niña Calleja
Show biz columnist goes to court
NOW IT?S show biz columnist Jobert Sucaldito?s turn. Sucaldito on Friday filed a libel case against actor John Lapus days after the actor filed a similar complaint against the writer for an allegedly libelous column in Bandera, a tabloid. Sucaldito?s complaint stemmed from an interview aired over GMA 7 in which Lapus allegedly said Sucaldito didn?t have any credibility at all. The interview on ?Showbiz Central? featured Lapus as saying there were three fan pages on Facebook entitled ?I hate Jobert? and that Sucaldito?s son was bound to see the fan pages. Sucaldito said Lapus?s remarks were obviously malicious. Both Sucaldito and Lapus lodged their complaints against each other in the Quezon City Prosecutors? Office. Lapus filed a case against Sucaldito on Monday, also for libel. Lapus?s complaint against the show biz writer stemmed from a Bandera column in which Sucaldito claimed Lapus ?went wild? at a Malate bar and allegedly tried to force a man to have sex with him. The actor denied the allegations and said the column damaged his reputation.