MANILA, Philippines ? Call it an early easter gift.
Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chair Oscar Inocentes yesterday ordered the suspension of the number coding scheme starting today until Friday to make it easier for travellers to get home to their provinces in time for Holy Week.
?This is our way of ensuring the convenience of the public. This way, they can travel without any delay and there will be enough public utility vehicles to ferry passengers all day long,? Inocentes said in a statement.
Earlier, the MMDA said the Unified Vehicular Volume Reduction Program (UVVRP) would be lifted only on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday which had been declared as holidays.
Meanwhile, the MMDA said it would deploy more than 1,000 traffic enforcers to man major thoroughfares, particularly Edsa, and other exit points in Metro Manila.
Inocentes said the deployment was in line with ?Lakbay Alalay,? part of the Department of Transportation and Communications? ?Oplan Semana Santa.?
He added that the majority of the agency?s traffic personnel would be assigned to roads leading to provincial bus terminals and other vital installations to guarantee the safety of thousands of commuters and even pedestrians.
Inocentes identified some of the traffic choke points as Balintawak, MacArthur Highway, Ortigas Avenue Extension, Sumulong Highway, Marcos Highway, Coastal Road, Roxas Boulevard, Alabang, Pasay and the Cubao area.
At the same time, the MMDA chair reminded bus drivers to comply with the ?nose in, nose out? policy (buses should be able to get in and out of their terminals in one simple maneuver without having to hold up traffic) set by the agency.
?I have ordered our enforcers to strictly enforce the rules so that there will be a smooth flow of traffic,? Inocentes said.