ILIGAN CITY, Philippines?Doctors at the Sanitarium Hospital in Valencia City in Bukidnon have declared broadcaster Randy Makiputin out of danger despite an injury at the back of his head, which he sustained when he was ambushed Friday night.
According to Arthur Sapanghari, Bukidnon chapter chairman of the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) has deployed personnel to ensure Makiputin?s security while recuperating at the hospital.
Based on his account to police authorities, Makiputin was trailed by two motorcycle-riding men as he left a vehicle repair shop in Valencia on board his own motorcycle.
He said he heard a gunshot and then he fell off from his motorcycle as he was approaching the road that led to Dayo Subdivision where he lived.
Police said Makiputin, who carried a firearm that time, was able to fire a shot.
But police said it was not clear whether Makiputin?s head injury was caused by a gunshot or by his fall when he was shot.
Police Officer 2 Arnold Alvarez, desk officer of the Valencia police station, said several witnesses probed by investigators told them they heard only one gunshot.
Sapanghari said the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) had sent a team to investigate the shooting
The 39-year old Makiputin is a radio anchor and field reporter for Radyo Abante in nearby Maramag town.
Sapanghari disclosed that Makiputin?s radio program had been largely dishing out entertainment news although he was also covering hard news and had served as a civilian witness in police raids.
JB Deveza of the NUJP?s Mindanao Safety Office said Superintendent Leonilo Cabug of the PNP regional office assured them that the police were tracking down the perpetrators of the attack on Makiputin.
Sapanghari said the last time Makiputin received a threat was before the May 10 elections.