Duterte will not be in Marawi for 1st anniversary of siege, says Go
President Rodrigo Duterte will not be visiting Marawi to commemorate the first anniversary of the city’s siege by Islamic State (IS)-inspired Maute fighters, his top aide said Wednesday.
Special Assistant to the President Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go said the President would rather attend the first anniversary of Malawi City’s liberation from extremist forces in October.
“Sa liberation ng Marawi kami pupunta. Not sa start ng siege. Why honor?” Go said in a text message to reporters.
The development came as Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Tuesday said President Duterte may visit the ruined city but did not confirm citing security considerations.
On May 23 last year, a fight erupted between government forces and IS-inspired Maute fighters, who tried to take over Marawi City. The encounter between the Maute fighters and security forces later erupted into a five-month long clash which reduced the city into ruins. /muf
Inquirer calls for support for the victims in Marawi City
Responding to appeals for help, the Philippine Daily Inquirer is extending its relief to victims of the attacks in Marawi City
Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.
Inquiries may be addressed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through Connie Kalagayan at 897-4426, email@example.com and Bianca Kasilag-Macahilig at 897-8808 local 352, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For donation from overseas:
Inquirer Foundation Corp account:
Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860
Swift Code: BNORPHMM
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.