Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Australian archbishop steps down after child sex abuse cover-up conviction

/ 10:36 AM May 23, 2018

In this image grabbed from video, Archbishop Philip Wilson (center) heads to Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, Australia on Tuesday, May 22, 2018. The Australian archbishop, who was the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world charged with covering up child sex abuse, was convicted Tuesday. (Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP)

CANBERRA, Australia — An Australian archbishop said he will stand aside but does not intend to resign after becoming the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse.

Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson was convicted on Tuesday of concealing the sexual abuse of two altar boys by a pedophile priest in the 1970s.

The 67-year-old who suffers the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease was released on bail, and faces a prison term of up to two years when he appears in court next month for sentencing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Wilson said on Wednesday he would stand aside on Friday after the necessary administrative arrangements had been put in place to manage his archdiocese.

He has not said whether he is considering an appeal.            /kga

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Archbishop Philip Wilson, Australia, child abuse, pedophilia, priest, Roman Catholic, Sexual abuse
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.