Verification set for 30K signatures in petition vs San Juan City mayor’s win
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has approved the commencement of the verification process for the 30,000 individuals who signed a petition for recall filed by the camp of former San Juan City Vice Mayor Francis Zamora against the reelection of Mayor Guia Gomez.
Zamora announced on Monday that San Juan election officer, Atty. Gregorio Bonifacio, has already set the schedule for the verification of the 30,000 signatures in the petition filed in September last year.
Based on a memorandum signed by Bonifacio last April 20, the verification of signatures and thumb marks of petitioners would take place from April 25 to May 1, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the San Juan Knights gym in San Juan Elementary School.
Only 15,000 signatures are needed to start the recall elections, Zamora said.
Last April 17, Comelec denied the motion for reconsideration filed by Gomez, whose victory in the May 2016 elections was being questioned.
Gomez won over Zamora by 1,000 votes.
“I am very happy about the denial (of the motion for reconsideration). I thought it would never come. We held prayer vigil twice and it finally comes out. The Comelec upheld the decision approving the sufficiency for the petition to recall elections. The process continues… Cause if not, it would have died a natural death,” Zamora said.
Zamora said the verification is still within the timeline. The recall elections should be held on May 13, 2018, or a year before the 2019 elections.
In an earlier press conference, Gomez asserted there was no loss of confidence and trust in her administration.
“I will not accept this recall election and will allow my lawyers to challenge it legally and according to the right process,” Gomez said. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.