#WalangPasok: More schools suspend classes today, March 19
More schools have suspended their classes on Monday, March 19, due to the scheduled nationwide transport strike in protest of the government’s planned jeepney modernization scheme.
As of 6:30 a.m., university and school officials suspended classes in the following schools:
- University of Santo Tomas: all levels
- Colegio de San Juan de Letran: all levels, including office work
- Scholastica’s College, Manila: all levels
- Santa Isabel College, Manila: all levels, including office work
- Polytechnic University of the Philippines: all levels except the College of Law
- Paul University, Manila: all levels
- University of the East, Manila: Kinder to Grade 6
However, Mayor Joseph Estrada has announced the suspension of classes on all levels in public and private schools in Manila.
On Sunday night, several schools and local government units in Quezon City, Makati, Taguig, and Laguna started to announce the suspension of classes in their respective jurisdiction due to the nationwide transport strike.
The Pinagkaisang Samahan ng mga Tsuper at Operator Nationwide (Piston) will hold Monday’s demonstrations against the looming jeepney modernization program of the government.
Piston president George San Mateo said the main rally, which would be conducted by jeepney drivers, operators, and workers, would be held in Cubao along Aurora Boulevard in front of Cubao Elementary School.
He added protest actions would also be held at the Alabang Viaduct, Monumento Circle, Novaliches-Bayan, and Anda Circle in Manila. /kga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.