Sanofi CEO in Paris: No proof linking Dengvaxia to PH deaths | Inquirer News
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Sanofi CEO in Paris: No proof linking Dengvaxia to PH deaths

/ 06:31 PM February 07, 2018
Olivier Brandicourt - Sanofi website

Sanofi CEO Olivier Brandicourt (Photo from the Sanofi website)

PARIS — Drugmaker Sanofi insists there’s no evidence of a link between the world’s first dengue vaccine and children’s deaths in the Philippines.

Paris-based Sanofi said Wednesday it lost €19 million ($23.46 million) in the fourth quarter on the vaccine as it bought back unused medicines, but doesn’t expect further related losses this year.

CEO Olivier Brandicourt called concerns about the vaccine “very worrisome” but said no problems were reported outside the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said: “We have absolutely no evidence that the vaccine has been linked to any deaths.”

Sanofi said in November that the vaccine could put people at risk of severe disease if they hadn’t previously been infected.

Philippines authorities say the deaths of three children may have “causal association” to the vaccine, and the government wants a refund from Sanofi.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Dengue Vaccine, Dengvaxia, Olivier Brandicourt, Sanofi Pasteur
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.