Duterte leads wrecking of P61M smuggled luxury cars | Inquirer News
Saturday, August 18, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Duterte leads wrecking of P61M smuggled luxury cars

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 04:04 PM February 06, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte witnesses the condemnation of 20 luxury cars at the Bureau of Customs in Manila on Tuesday, February 6, 2018. (MPC POOL PHOTO)

President Rodrigo Duterte witnessed the condemnation of smuggled imported luxury cars at the Bureau of Customs (BoC) in Manila on Tuesday.

Road rollers crushed 20 high-end vehicles worth at least P61.6 million, which included brands and models like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Jaguar, and Corvette Stingray.

The condemnation of 10 other luxury vehicles was also done simultaneously in the ports of Cebu and Davao.

ADVERTISEMENT

Previously, Duterte said that the destruction of luxury cars was meant to send a message to wealthy car enthusiasts who do not pay right import duties.

“You want imported cars? Pay import duties first,” Duterte earlier said.

BoC Commissioner Isidro Lapeña has said that his agency would destroy smuggled luxury cars instead of putting them up for auction.                        /kga

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bureau of Customs, destroy, Duties, imported, luxury cars, President Rodrigo Duterte, Tax
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.