Monday, January 22, 2018
Close  
  • share this

SC consolidates four petitions vs martial law extension

/ 03:51 PM January 13, 2018

A protester show a sign that signifies her opposition to the extension of martial law in Mindanao during a protest action in Manila. INQUIRER file photo / LYN RILLON

All four petitions against the year-long extension of martial law in Mindanao that were filed before the Supreme Court (SC) have been consolidated, according to the SC Public Information Office (PIO).

In an advisory Friday evening, the SC PIO said all four petitions would be discussed during the oral arguments at the SC’s en banc session hall on January 16, at 2 p.m. and January 17, at 10 a.m.

The fourth petition was filed by a group led by former Commission on Elections (Comelec) chairman and one of the framers of the 1987 Constitution Christian Monsod.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Christian Monsod-led group files fourth petition vs ML extension

Monsod was joined by Arlene Bag-Ao, Rey Paolo Santiago, Nolasco Ritz Lee Santos III, Marie Hazel Lavitoria, Nicolene Arcaina and Jose Ryan Pelongco.

The year-long extension of martial law in Mindanao, which was approved by Congress in a joint 240-27 vote last December, had lacked sufficient factual basis as Marawi City was already liberated and key leaders of the rebellion were reported dead, according to the petitioners.

The petitioners named Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, Armed Forces chief of staff General Rey Guerrero, Senate President Aquilino Pimentel III and Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez as respondents in the petition.

READ: SC to include Etta’s plea vs martial extension at oral arguments

This argument was also raised in the first three petitions filed with the SC, where it was stressed that the government had already declared the termination of fighting in Marawi.

The first petition was filed by the minority bloc from Congress while the second petition was filed by human-rights advocates. The third petition was filed by former Commission on Human Rights chair Loretta Ann Rosales.

The government, through the Office of the Solicitor General, is expected to submit its comment on the consolidated petitions not later than 5 p.m. on Saturday, January 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a text message to INQUIRER.net at around 3 p.m. on Saturday, OSG spokesman Atty. Erik Dy said they have yet to file their comment. /jpv

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Inquirer calls for support for the victims in Marawi City

Responding to appeals for help, the Philippine Daily Inquirer is extending its relief to victims of the attacks in Marawi City

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through Connie Kalagayan at 897-4426, ckalagayan@inquirer.com.ph and Bianca Kasilag-Macahilig at 897-8808 local 352, bkasilag@inquirer.com.ph.

For donation from overseas:

Inquirer Foundation Corp account:

Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860

Swift Code: BNORPHMM

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Martial law, Mindanao, petitions, SC
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved