Coalition in Cebu targets rights abuses under Duterte
CEBU CITY—A group of Cebuanos, mostly lawyers, have formed a coalition to monitor and document cases of human rights abuses. The coalition, Cebu for Human Rights (CFHR), was launched on Tuesday.
Democrito Barcenas, one of the organizers, said people should not keep mum amid killings and other human rights abuses being committed by the administration of President Duterte.
Arvin Odron, head of the regional office of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR), said the CHR would be a partner of CFHR.
Police records showed at least 188 drug suspects had been gunned down in clashes with police while 213 were gunned down in vigilante-style killings. —ADOR VINCENT MAYOL
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.