BAGUIO CITY – A 23-year-old man died on Tuesday after choking on betel nut in Apayao province, the Cordillera police reported.
Jomarie David Chica was found slumped on the floor unconscious with the nut in his mouth around 10 a.m. at Capagaypayan village in Luna town.
Chica was pronounced dead on arrival at the Far North Luzon General Hospital & Training Center.
Initial medical findings showed that the nut obstructed Chica’s airway. Betel nut, when chewed, produces the same stimulants provided by coffee or tobacco.
Chica’s remains were subsequently taken to the RPV Funeral Homes in Cagayan province. /kga