Saturday, July 21, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Betel nut chokes man dead in Apayao

By: - Correspondent / @kquitasolINQ
/ 09:59 AM January 03, 2018

BAGUIO CITY – A 23-year-old man died on Tuesday after choking on betel nut in Apayao province, the Cordillera police reported.

Jomarie David Chica was found slumped on the floor unconscious with the nut in his mouth around 10 a.m. at Capagaypayan village in Luna town.

Chica was pronounced dead on arrival at the Far North Luzon General Hospital & Training Center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Initial medical findings showed that the nut obstructed Chica’s airway. Betel nut, when chewed, produces the same stimulants provided by coffee or tobacco.

Chica’s remains were subsequently taken to the RPV Funeral Homes in Cagayan province.                /kga

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Apayao, betel nut, choke, death
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
opinion

The Sona as authorized speech

July 22, 2018 05:12 AM

lifestyle

That A350 high (and Timothée Chalamet can wait)

July 22, 2018 05:12 AM

opinion

Rest a while

July 22, 2018 05:10 AM

opinion

SC orders devolution, ignites federalism joust

July 22, 2018 05:10 AM

lifestyle

A quick getaway to Hong Kong

July 22, 2018 05:10 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.