Friday, July 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

DOH: Don’t ignore even minor cuts cause by firecracker blast

By: - Reporter / @santostinaINQ
/ 06:23 AM January 03, 2018

The Department of Health (DOH) has advised those who defied firecracker regulations on New Year’s Eve not to ignore slight burns and small cuts from firecracker injuries, saying these could lead to infections such as tetanus.

The DOH issued the advisory as it revealed more cases of fireworks-related injuries due to unused firecrackers lighted after the festivities as well as delays in seeking medical care.

The health department’s Epidemiology Bureau said that 171 additional fireworks-related injuries were reported, bringing to 362 the total number of cases from Dec. 21 to Jan. 2.

ADVERTISEMENT

“No matter how small the injury is, go to the hospital and let the doctors decide on what should be done to your injury to prevent infections,” said Health Undersecretary Gerardo Bayugo in an interview with reporters.

According to Bayugo, the DOH was expecting reports involving late consultations among firecracker victims from the New Year festivities.

Prevent infection

“Some might think that the injury they sustained was only minor and will just ignore it. Please go to the hospital so you can be given antitetanus and antibiotic to prevent infection and complications,” Bayugo said.

He also appealed to the public to immediately dispose remaining firecrackers and not to let children play with them or risk their safety.

The DOH said the 362 cases of fireworks-related injuries is still 57 percent or 473 cases lower than the five-year average; and 40 percent or 242 cases lower than the same period last year.

There were no deaths and no fireworks ingestion reported.

Metro Manila had the most number of fireworks-related injuries, which amounted to 201 cases or 56 percent of the total number.

ADVERTISEMENT

Mostly in Manila

The City of Manila had the most number of cases at 97.

More than half or 56 percent of the cases were caused by illegal fireworks, of which 129 were by piccolo.

More than half or 54 percent of the victims were active users of firecrackers.

Majority of the cases (300 or 83 percent) sustained blast injuries without amputation; 61 had eye injuries and 12 had blast injuries with amputation; and 181 injuries involved the hand.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DoH, firecracker injuries, first aid, New Year 2018
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.