Sunday, January 21, 2018
Close  
  • share this

10 Mandaluyong cops, 3 village watchmen face homicide raps

/ 04:29 PM January 01, 2018

Metro Manila police chief Director Oscar Albayalde confronts the Mandaluyong City policemen involved in the Dec. 28 shooting incident. INQUIRER / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Ten Mandaluyong police officers and three village watchmen involved in the shooting incident are now facing homicide charges over the deaths of two persons last Dec. 28.

“We have filed cases of homicide against 10 policemen at tsaka doon sa tatlong barangay tanods (and to the three village watchmen),” National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief Police Director Oscar Albayalde said in press conference at Camp Crame on Monday.

READ: Mandaluyong shooting: A sad case of miscommunication?

The Mandaluyong policemen are currently under restrictive custody of the NCRPO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, police and several men in civilian clothes peppered a Mitsubishi Adventure AUV with bullets along Shaw Bouleverad near the upscale community along Old Wack Wack road.

The encounter, which was said to be a case of mistaken identity, led to the death of Jonalyn Ambaon and laborer Jomar Hayawun. Ambaon’s live-in partner Eliseo Aluad and van driver Danilo Santiago also suffered several gunshot wounds.

Four Mandaluyong policemen in the shooting, two village watchmen and Jonalyn Ambaon–one of the two fatalities–reportedly tested positive for gunpowder nitrates.

Village watchmen Ernesto Fajardo and William Duron, however, denied they were carrying guns during the encounter. /jpv

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Albayalde, Mandaluyong shooting, NCRPO, PNP‎, tanod
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved