Quantcast
Latest Stories

Cebu cargo yields gun parts, bullets during check

By

CEBU CITY, Philippines—The Bureau of Customs in Cebu stopped the release of a container van that was declared to carry used household items but yielded gun parts on Wednesday, customs officials said.

Cebu Customs District Collector Ronnie Silvestre said he stopped the release of the shipment pending complete inspection to determine the volume of gun parts that were hidden among the used household items.

So far, customs officials found ammunition and parts of M-14 and M-16 rifles.

Aside from gun parts, the container van also yielded six US-made motorcycles.

The shipment, which was declared as household goods, was consigned to Renato R. Ramos of No. 1513 J. Rizal St., Barangay Banilad, Mandaue City.

Based on the bill of lading, the shipment came from California and arrived at the Cebu International Port on Nov. 3 on board Cebu Trader, a vessel of the NYK Line.

The bill of lading stated that the shipment is composed of 100 packages and weighed 7,500 kilograms.

Silvestre said the shipment was supposed to be released today if it had passed random inspection.

The packing list of the shipment included apparel, books, kitchen utensils, plates, spoons and forks, books, a home theater system, appliances, home furnishings and furniture, among others.

But when Andre Catre and Jeffrey Alindogan, special agents of the Cebu Customs Enforcement and Security Service (ESS), conducted the random inspection, they found the ammunition and gun parts.

Once the ESS has completed the examination of the shipment, Silvestre said the Bureau of Customs would issue a warrant of seizure for the whole shipment, including the household goods, which were used to conceal the rifle components.

He said the bureau would also file charges against the importer.

“It was very obvious that it is a prohibited importation,” Silvestre said, adding that the investigation would be completed in a month.

He said importers of guns or gun parts have to possess permits from the Firearms and Explosives Office of the Philippine National Police to bring in firearms or components.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Bureau of Customs , Cebu City , Cebu Customs District Collector Ronnie Silvestre , Customs officials




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • Drilon calls for sobriety as mudslinging, witch hunts loom due to pork scam
  • S. Korea ferry toll hits 150 as search gets tougher
  • If Napoles names Aquino allies, they’ll be brought to bar of justice – Palace
  • Lacson says diamond-studded earring snatched from wife fake
  • Pope John XXIII launched Vatican II and then some
  • Sports

  • Wizards beat Bulls in OT to take 2-0 series lead
  • Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series
  • David Moyes out as Manchester United manager
  • Nadal to face fellow Spaniard at Barcelona Open
  • Defensive Chelsea holds Atletico in scoreless draw
  • Lifestyle

  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Sweet party for Andi Manzano
  • Entertainment

  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Summer movie preview: Bay reboots ‘Transformers’
  • Business

  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • $103M Vista Land bonds tendered for redemption
  • Oil slips to $102 as US crude supplies seen rising
  • SC stops Meralco power rate hike anew
  • Technology

  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Brazil passes trailblazing Internet privacy law
  • New York police Twitter campaign backfires badly
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • No word yet on inking of US-PH defense pact during Obama visit
  • Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  • China, rivals sign pact to ease maritime tensions
  • Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate
  • Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement