Solon: NPA attacks part of plot for RevGov | Inquirer News
Monday, August 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Solon: NPA attacks part of plot for RevGov

By: - Reporter / @deejayapINQ
/ 07:19 AM December 03, 2017

New People’s Army guerrillas stand in formation inside a rebel camp deep in the Sierra Madre mountains in this 2016 file photo. —BOY BAGWIS/CONTRIBUTOR

The supposed antagonism between President Rodrigo Duterte and communist leaders could be part of a “grand scheme” to use insurgent attacks as an excuse to declare a revolutionary government (RevGov), a lawmaker said on Saturday.

“Wittingly or unwittingly, the communists could be part of this scheme,” said Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano, a former rebel Marine captain, in a statement.

Alejano suggested there might be a connection between Mr. Duterte’s increasingly hostility to communist leaders he previously called friends and moves to declare a revolutionary government.

ADVERTISEMENT

Alejano said Mr. Duterte’s seeming antagonism with the communists could result in more and intensified militant attacks, which would justify a revolutionary government.

“Communist groups have long been waging acts to bring down the democratic government regardless of who the sitting president is, yet President Duterte immediately and comfortably appointed communist allies in the Cabinet and other high-ranking government posts,” he said.

Though former Social Welfare Secretary Judy Taguiwalo and Agrarian Reform Secretary Rafael Mariano have been rejected by the Commission on Appointments, some leftists remain in government.

Among them are Labor Undersecretary Joel Maglunsod, National Anti-Poverty Commission Secretary Liza Maza and Presidential Commission for the Urban Poor Chair Terry Ridon.

Peace talks

Moreover, Alejano said Mr. Duterte’s public pronouncements against the leaders of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), New People’s Army (NPA) and National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) did not jibe with his actions.

“The repeated threats of declaring a revolutionary government by the President, his continuing relationship with the CPP-NPA-NDFP, and the disjointed and disparate policy against communist rebels are something to be wary about,” Alejano said.

“Based on the information I received, backdoor negotiations between the peace panels have continued even after President Duterte discredited the importance of pursing peace talks with the communist groups,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

“In fact, as a result of these backdoor negotiations, a proposed simultaneous signing of agreements this December between the peace-negotiating panels is being prepared,” Alejano said.

He said these agreements include the contentious Comprehensive Agreement on Social and Economic Reforms, a general amnesty to political prisoners, and an Agreement on Coordinated Unilateral Ceasefire.

“Specifically contained in the ceasefire agreement would be a stand-down order to (the Armed Forces of the Philippines) while NPA units remain in their designated zones,” Alejano said.

‘Puzzling’

“Further, Duterte has not yet transmitted a formal notice of termination of peace talks to the negotiating panels,” he added.

Alejano said: “It is puzzling that while President Duterte is lambasting the CPP-NPA in public, backdoor negotiations with the NDFP continue.”

“The people and other government institutions, particularly the military, should remain vigilant and critical [of] such machinations meant to violate the Constitution and destroy our democratic government,” he said.

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Gary Alejano, NPA attacks, RevGov, revolutionary government, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Duterte in ‘kama’ not ‘coma’ – Bong Go

August 20, 2018 11:40 AM

business

ADB okays $300M loan to boost PPPs in PH

August 20, 2018 11:13 AM

newsinfo

Liza Maza resigns from Duterte Cabinet

August 20, 2018 11:03 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.