Sunday, June 24, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Authorities prepare for anticipated retrieval operations in Marawi City

/ 04:04 PM October 16, 2017

MARAWI CITY – Local government officials expect to recover more than 500 bodies and skeletal remains of civilians and pro-Islamic State (IS) terrorists, who were killed in the months-long conflict in this war-torn city.

“It could be more, but it doesn’t mean the figures I gave are the actual number of cadavers inside,” Zia Alonto Adiong, spokesman of provincial crisis management committee, told the Inquirer.

Adiong said they already conducted simulation trainings among volunteers and village officials for the anticipated retrieval operations.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Our volunteers, along with our disaster teams, will work hand in hand with police and military in retrieval operations once the fighting stops,” he said.

The military earlier reported that 822 terrorists and 47 civilians were killed in the fighting.

As of Monday, the death toll on the government side has reached 163 while more than 1,700 soldiers were wounded.

The provincial government had buried previously recovered 147 bodies and skeletal remains in a mass grave in the village of Mapandayan.

Meanwhile, exchange of gunfires between military and pro-IS fighters, and mortar blasts in the main battle area can still be heard despite the reported deaths of Isnilon Hapilon and Omar Maute – the leaders of the so-called Marawi siege.

Hapilon, was the acknowledged head of the purported IS in Mindanao who is on the list of most wanted terrorists by the United States while Omar Maute, was one of the leaders behind the Maute Terrorist Group.

Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said that with the death of Hapilon and Maute, the government may soon be able to announce the termination of hostilities in this city.

Lorenzana emphasized, however, that government forces would still have to make sure that that there are no more terrorists in the areas and all structures have been cleared of bombs and booby traps.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Adiong said they understand why the fighting was taking long.

“We are pinning our hopes on the military to fully recover the city. We do understand why it is dragging because the lives of our troops and hostages are at stake here,” Adiong said.                                                                                                       /kga

Inquirer calls for support for the victims in Marawi City

Responding to appeals for help, the Philippine Daily Inquirer is extending its relief to victims of the attacks in Marawi City

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through Connie Kalagayan at 897-4426, ckalagayan@inquirer.com.ph and Bianca Kasilag-Macahilig at 897-8808 local 352, bkasilag@inquirer.com.ph.

For donation from overseas:

Inquirer Foundation Corp account:

Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860

Swift Code: BNORPHMM

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Delfin Lorenzana, Islamic State, Isnilon Hapilon, Marawi, Maute group, Omar Maute, Retrieval operations, Terrorists, Zia Alonto Adiong
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.