DOJ includes parents of ‘Kulot’ in Witness Protection Program
The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Friday announced that it has admitted in the Witness Protection Program (WPP) the parents of 14-year-old Reynaldo “Kulot” De Guzman.
Eduardo Gabriel and Lina De Guzman-Dimaganti met with Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Friday where they sought government protection.
Aguirre said he immediately ordered Justice Undersecretary Raymundo L. Mecate to process their application.
“This afternoon they were admitted into the WPP… We want the parents of Kulot to know that they can trust the government’s WPP,” Aguirre said.
“The WPP is the only entity empowered under the law to secure witnesses to a crime and to take care of them,” Aguirre said pointing out that such mandate is under the WPP law or Republic Act 6981.
Kulot’s parents, together with the parents of 19-year-old Carl Angelo Arnaiz, already filed a double murder complaint against two police officers and a cab driver allegedly robbed by Arnaiz.
Carl and Kulot disappeared early last month. Arnaiz’ body was found in Caloocan while Kulot’s body was recovered in Gapan, Nueva Ecija.
The police, however released a DNA test saying the body found in Nueva Ecija was not that of Kulot. During a wake early this week, the police attempted to get Kulot’s body. But his burial pushed through Wednesday with the heavily armed members of the Intelligence Security Operations Group (ISOG) from the WPP escorting the family. /jpv
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.