Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Close  
newsinfo / Nation

NPD chief sacked pending probe on Kian’s death

newsinfo / Nation
  • share this

NPD chief sacked pending probe on Kian’s death

NPD director Chief Superintendent Roberto Fajardo. FILE PHOTO / INQUIRER.net

Published: 5:33 p.m., Aug. 22, 2017 | 11:16 p.m., Aug. 22, 2017

Senior Supt. Roberto Fajardo, chief of the Northern Police District, was sacked from his post pending an investigation on the death of 17-year-old Kian delos Santos during an anti-drug operation in Caloocan City last week.

Dir. Gen. Ronald Dela Rosa, chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), told DZMM radio in an interview that his relief orders were effective Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Effective today, administratively relieved si Gen. Fajardo to give way to an impartial investigation,” he said.

Fajardo will be temporarily assigned to Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit of the PNP at Camp Crame.

Fajardo confirmed the order in an interview with the Inquirer, saying: “That is just normal for us especially during ongoing probes. I have no problem with it. I will follow orders.”

Fajardo was the sixth police officer to be relieved since Friday over the boy’s death.

Earlier Director Oscar Albayalde, National Capital Region Police Office chief, relieved several other officers:

  • Senior Supt. Chito Bersaluna, chief of the Caloocan City Police Station
  • Chief Insp. Amor Cerillo, Caloocan Police Community Precinct 7 head
  • PO3 Arnel Oares, PO1 Jeremias Pereda, and PO1 Jerwin Cruz – the three officers involved in the operation that led to Delos Santos’ killing
Kian’s pa welcomes Duterte’s promise

Meanwhile, Kian’s father, Saldy delos Santos, expressed relief over President Rodrigo Duterte’s promise that Oraes, Pereda, and Cruz would “rot in jail” if found guilty of carrying out “a rubout.”

“I am grateful that, little by little, my son is getting the justice [he deserves] because he did not do anything of the things they are accusing him of,” Saldy said on Tuesday.

Kian, a Grade 12 student, was killed after he allegedly fired upon policemen conducting a “One Time Big Time” operation in Barangay 160, Caloocan, on Aug. 16.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Monday, Fajardo said in a press briefing at Camp Crame that they had gathered intelligence proving that the teenager, together with his father and uncle, were involved in the drug trade.

Still gathering proof

But in a phone interview with the Inquirer the following day, Fajardo said they had yet to file charges against Saldy as they were still gathering proof he was a drug pusher.

“Once we have compiled all the necessary evidence, then we will file charges against him,” Fajardo added.

Saldy admitted that he and other family members feared for their lives after authorities, particularly Dela Rosa, linked them to drugs and said that his son served as their runner.

“But now that they are beginning to take our side, that fear has slowly ebbed away,” he said, referring to Mr. Duterte’s promise on Monday to put the guilty in jail.

Saldy maintained that he did not know Neneng Escopin or a Renato Loveras, drug personalities on the city’s watch list which were being linked to him.

A day after autopsy results conducted by the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) revealed that Delos Santos died due to three gunshot wounds, Saldy called on the three policemen involved in his son’s killing to admit their wrongdoing.

The three are in restrictive custody at the National Capital Region Police Office headquarters in Camp Bagong Diwa, Taguig City.

“We wish that we can finally be given peace. We are so tired,” Saldy said.

Based on the findings of PAO medicolegal officer Erwin Erfe, Delos Santos was shot while he was lying facedown. One bullet hit him in the back while the other two struck his head.

PAO chief Persida Acosta said his wounds proved there was “intentional killing.” JE /atm

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: investigation, Kian delos Santos, Northern Police District chief, Roberto Fajardo, sacked
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved